Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Flies

I have this fly that has been flying around my head all night and it makes me think of flies in Australia-specifically the outback and Alice Springs. For those of you who aren't familiar with Alice Springs and their flies, let me expound. The flies here are not just ordinary flies. They are very aggressive and they like to fly into your face and all over you. They like warm, moist places and that means that your ears, nose and mouth are all exposed and fair game to fly into. The little aboriginal kids here have snotty noses and, therefore, snotty faces all the time (and they don't wipe them, they just let it run. My kids freak out over a little buger and they just let it sit on their faces) and occasionally you see flies stuck in their snot-it's gross (are you getting a visual yet?). We have here what's called "the Alice Springs wave" because you have to walk down the street swatting the flies away from your face so they don't fly into those warm, moist places. I've actually become pretty good at hitting the flies as they buzz around me (though that may just be because there are so many of them that you can't help but hit some). I will never take for granted the flies we have in the US again-they are nothing compared to these darn flies. It's started to cool off now and the flies aren't nearly at thick as they are during the summer but I can't wait until they are all but gone. I'm going to go find myself a fly swatter and kill this darn fly.

Caleb with flies all over his butt and legs (Click for a closer look)


Josh's arm covered in flies

4 comments:

La Familia Aguilar said...

YUCK!! I hate flies. When we lived in Kansas we had deer flies becasue of the cattle yards. Deer flies bite. I hope yours are not the biting variety! I'm so glad to get to hear about your life.
Love,
Danelle

Clarkmomma said...

Luckily they aren't the biting kind-that would suck. They are just super aggressive al get all over you. Glad to see you stopping by Danelle!

Monica said...

Heather, I am so excited to be able to read about you and your family. I'm glad you joined the blogging world! Love, Monica xoxo

Aimee said...

Your family is so cute. I was excited to put you on my favorits list so I can follow your blog. You are living one of our fantasies living in Australia Have fun Love Aimee