Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Ten Virgins

I've recently come to love and appreciate the story of the ten virgins. It's one of those stories that, if you go to church as you grow up, no matter which religion, you're taught it time and time again. It's a parable taught by the savior to the people of the bible, ,and to us. The basics are that there are ten virgins who were waiting for the bridegroom to come so that they could go into his wedding. They each have a lamp that is powered by oil. There were 5 who had extra oil and 5 who only had what was in their lamps. They all waited a very long time and the 5 without extra started running out of light and asked the others to share. The ones with extra could not share what they had without running out too early so the others ran to buy more oil and returned too late to enter the wedding.
As most of you know, the oil is supposed to be what is within each of us, the bridegroom is Jesus Christ and his wedding is the second coming. If we aren't prepared and ready with enough "oil" within, then we will be left behind when Christ comes and gathers those who are ready.
I can only hope to be one of those who has enough within me to be able to power my light until the day and time arrives that I will need it. I know so many who were once on the right path and then decided that it just didn't matter enough anymore, and it makes me sad. I can only imagine being one who has enough and not being able to share with family and friends who don't. I can imagine the sorrow that those 5 felt when they were unable to share and then had to go in and celebrate without the others. I'm sure some of those who weren't prepared were their sisters, best friends and maybe even their mothers, daughters or aunts. I wish that I could share my desire with everybody around me.
We've all been given our free agency to choose what we want to do and how we want to live our lives. I hope that in the day we need it, myself, my family and each and every one of those I care about, will have chosen the right path to have enough to all go in. Can you imagine the celebration we would all have in there together? I imagine it would be quite the shindig, especially with the family and friends that I have. May we each strive to be the best we can be and live our lives so that we can all get into that party and bring the house down.

1 comment:

Unknown said...


I have been searching post liked this and my favorite perspective so far is http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/10/converted-unto-the-lord?lang=eng&query=ten+virgins